Renting a car in Barbados can get quite expensive for new holidaymakers to the island, but, you can also find very affordable ways to hire a vehicle while you are holidaying in Barbados. Here’s what to consider before you sign any leasing documents.
(Note: prices are quoted in US dollars).
CDW Terms and Excess Amounts
CDW is also known as Collision Damage Waiver is an amount of money which the driver must pay should there be an accident. The CDW allows drivers to have some measure of insurance that the rental company will not charge over a certain amount in the event of an accident. The deductible amount for this insurance can be between $1,000 and $1,750. This is not the same as automobile insurance, rather, it allows the driver to use the car rental company’s auto insurance as if it were their own transportation. Excess amounts are the funds required to be paid before the CDW is enacted due to car damage.
Additional Extras to the Vehicle Rental
Extras for a rental vehicle in Barbados may include items such as:
- GPS satellite navigation – $25 – $35 per week,
- Child car seat or stroller – $30 – $40 per week for
- Additional drivers – $20 – $25 per week per driver
- Pickup at airport – $5 or as much as $30
- Gasoline charges – average of $25 – $35
- Local Barbados driving permit (mandatory) – a cost $5 for two months or $50 for an entire year
Cost of Rental Car in Barbados
Similar to other countries, the car rental rates may vary depending on the peak holiday season. A car hired in the winter season (which includes rental costs, CDW coverage, and taxes) can be as low of as:
For an economy hatchback cars (Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris or similar) – between $400 – $500 per week
For a compact sedan car – (Toyota Yaris sedan or similar) – between $500 – $600 per week
A car is hired in the summer time (drivers may be able to negotiate a better deal)
- A discount of between 10 and 20 percent off the usual winter seasonal rate per week.
Daily car rentals can be very expensive
- as much as $70 – $100 per day for an economy car instead of $400 to $500 per week in the peak winter periods
Monthly car rental packages
- discount of 5 to 20% off may be applied
Taxi Fees versus Car Rental Cost on Per Day Basis
Example: transportation from Airport to the north of the island may vary depending on the number of passengers and the amount of luggage to be carried per passenger
- Taxi – Cost US $45 – $60 for one way trip only
- Hire car – Cost $70 – $100 per day for 24 hours (depends on type of car rented)
Rates are almost same for a one way trip as to hiring a car for the entire day (24 hours)
Type of Vehicle
Economy hatchback and mini moke rentals are very popular in Barbados. Larger vehicles including soft top Jeeps are also fairly common, as well as mid-sized and compact sized vehicles.
As a general rule of thumb, the smaller the vehicle the lower the rental price.
Major Brand Rental Companies vs Drive Barbados Car Rental Company
Major brand name companies are usually located at Grantley Adams airport, and they are by far the most expensive and seem to be the highest priced (on average 30% higher than local companies). This is usually the case because they have to cover the costs of branding, employees and office leasing atGAIA airport.
Our family operated business in Barbados offers you one of the most affordable vehicle rental options on the island.
For Affordable Car Rentals Choice